So there is a lot covered about iron deficiency during pregnancy. I wasn’t personally aware that this can continue after pregnancy.
From my own personal experience all iron levels were normal during pregnancy but I lost a lot of blood during delivery. I was recommended an iron supplement to take for three months and presumed that would be enough………. I was wrong. It went on, and rather than enjoying the bliss of motherhood I was feeling constantly tired, low and irritable.
If you think you might be suffering with this condition look out for these symptoms.
- Constantly tired
- If this fatigue last more than 6 months after delivery
- You feel Irritable
- Feel like it’s an effort to do day to day things.
Possible conditions from this.
- Increased risk of post natal depression
- More prone to urinary tract infection
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Insufficient breast milk production/ poor quality breast milk
- Consume iron rich diet
- Take a good quality iron supplement
- Add vitamin C and B12 sources. This will help the absorption of iron
- Avoid tea and coffee as this inhibits the absorption of iron.
Foods rich in iron
- Red meats/liver
- lentils and beans
- Dark green leafy veg
Hope this is helpful Guys.